Upgrading the electrical panel is a necessity for anyone with aging residential wiring or an outdated system. A faulty electrical panel can lead to all sorts of problems, including power outages and even dangerous electrical surges. So how do you know when it’s time for an electrical panel upgrade in Chatham-Kent? Here are seven warning signs that it might be time:
- You have an outdated electrical panel installed. If your home is over 20 years old, it may still have the original electrical panel installed. This means you must catch up on modern equipment’s safety and efficiency benefits.
- You need to use extension cords and power strips for extra outlets. Older models often don’t provide enough available outlets, so people use extension cords or power strips to plug in additional appliances. This is not only a potential safety hazard but can also lead to your electrical system overloading and tripping the circuit breaker.
- Your lights are flickering or dimming when you turn on large appliances. This indicates that your wiring cannot handle the load of powering such appliances.
- The circuit breaker trips frequently. This could be a sign that your electrical system cannot handle the current amount it’s being asked to process, so the circuit breaker trips to prevent damage.
- You hear buzzing or crackling noises coming from your outlets or switches. These sounds can indicate loose wires, which can cause sparks and can lead to a potential fire hazard.
- Your outlets are warm or discolored. Discolored outlets or ones that feel warm to the touch can indicate an overload on your electrical system, which could result in a short circuit if left unresolved.
- You smell burning near your electrical panel or outlets. This indicates that your electrical wiring is overheating, leading to a potential fire hazard.
These warning signs are just the start – if you notice any of these issues, it’s time to call in an electrician for a professional evaluation. An expert can inspect your system and advise you on the best action. The good news is that older electrical panels can be easily replaced with modern versions, making your wiring safer and more efficient. So don’t wait – if you’re experiencing any of these warning signs, it’s time to upgrade your electrical panel now.